Jesse Clyde Stegall
- Born: 22 Mar 1880, Uniion County, North Carolina
- Marriage: Cleo Bessie Irby on 20 Oct 1912 in Union County, Arkansas
- Died: 18 Aug 1959, Union County, Arkansas at age 79
- Buried: Hopewell Cemetery, Uniion County, Arkansas
Noted events in his life were:
• Obituary, 1959. Jesse Clyde Stegall was born in Union County, North Carolina, the only son of John Wilson Stegall and his first wife Melissa Trull. His mother died when he was young, and his father remarried, and brought the family to Union County, Arkansas. Jesse Clyde attended Ouachita Baptist College in Arkadelphia, Arkansas.
Jesse Clyde was a school teacher at the Hopewell School in 1910, where he met Cleo Bessie Irby (1893-1969), a daughter of J. W. H. "Bill" Irby and his wife Cleopatra "Patra" Beachum (1861-1931). Mr. Irby had given the land for the school to be built upon many years before.
Clyde and Bessie as they were called, had nine children:
Bevis Wayne Stegall (13 Jan. 1912-10 March 1913)
Wilson Irby Stegall (29 June 1916-25 Nov. 1973) married Lillian Owens, 2nd Louise Scrimshire, there were two children of the first marriage, and one of the second.
Anna Bess Stegall (27 Oct. 1918-7 Dec. 2010) married Faunt Biscoe Smith, Sr., and they had three children. Anna Bess was the last surviving child.
Jerry Maurice Stegall (21 Feb. 1921-18 Dec. 1988) married Nell Bowlin, and they had three children.
George Maxwell Stegall (4 April 1923-22 March 1988) married Betty Harrell, lived in Orange, Texas. They had two children.
Arnold Doyle Stegall (16 Nov. 1925-20 June 1985) married Hazel Taylor, and they had five children.
Mary Ann Stegall (5 Oct. 1928-15 Feb. 2005) married William Marvin Rowland, Jr., and they had six children.
Helen Janice Stegall (27 March 1931-13 July 2009) married twice, 1st. Edward Michael Freyer, and 2nd to Lester Glen Welch. There were two children of the first marriage.
Alice Nell Stegall (17 March 1934-29 Jan. 1999) m. Linus Calvin "Lynn" Leach, and they had one child.
Jesse married Cleo Bessie Irby, daughter of John William Harris "Bill" Irby and Cleopatra Beacham, on 20 Oct 1912 in Union County, Arkansas. (Cleo Bessie Irby was born on 5 Oct 1893 in Union County, Arkansas, died on 25 Jul 1979 in Union County, Arkansas and was buried in Hopewell Cemetery, Uniion County, Arkansas.)