Josiah Virgil Pate
- Born: 20 Jul 1905, Burr Oak, Jewell County, Kansas
- Marriage: Goldie Mae Ault on 28 Dec 1932 in Imperial, Nebraska
- Died: 22 Mar 1978, Ionia Township, Jewell County, Kansas at age 72
- Buried: Esbon Cemetery, Esbon Township, Jewell County, Kansas
Noted events in his life were:
• Census, 1910, Kansas, Jewell County, Limestone Township, Image 2 of 15. Age 4 yrs.
• Census, 1915, Kansas State Census Collection, Jewell County, Limestone Township, Image 29 of 78. Age 9 yrs.
• Census, 1920, Kansas, Jewell County, Limestone Township, Image 11 of 14. Age 14 yrs.
• Census, 1925, Kansas State Census Collection, Jewell County, Limestone Township, Image 15 of 44. Age 19 yrs.
• Census, 1930, Kansas, Jewell County, Esbon Township, Image 2 of 8. Age 24 yrs., single, laborer, general farm.
• Obituary, 30 Mar 1978, The Jewell County Record.
Josiah Virgil Page, oldest child of Bird Pate and Olive Morrow, was born July 20, 1905, on a farm in Limestone Township and passed away in his sleep at his home in Ionia, Kansas, Wednesday night, March 22, 1978 at the age of 72 yrs., 8 months, and 2 days.
Joe received his grade school education at District 126 (Matousek School), a country school near Esbon, and attended Esbon High School.
On December 28, 1932, he was united in marriage to Goldie Mae Ault at Imperial, Nebraska. They began their married life near Otego, Kansas. To this union four children were born, two daughters and two sons, Alice Lorraine, Marilyn Joan, Richard Clair and Melvin Wayne.
In 1968 they moved to Ionia, Kansas, where they lived until his death.
Joe had failing health since February, 1976. He was a cheerful and noncomplaining person. He was preceded in death by his father, Bird, in 1932, a brother, Neil, in 1942, and an infant son, Richard, in 1939.
Joe was extremely generous and neighborly person, he was a loyal and devoted husband and father, and will be sadly missed by his family, neighbors and friends.
He leaves to mourn his loss his wife, Goldie, of the home; two daughters and their husbands, Mr. and Mrs. Virgil Seay of Stanton, Calif., and Mr. and Mrs. Calif. Hawkins, Tahelquah, Okla.; a son, Melvin, and his wife, Miyoko, of North Platte, Nebr.; nine grandchildren and four great-grandchildren. Also surviving are his aged mother, Mrs. Olive Ransom of Esbon, Ks.; a sister and her husband, Mr. and Mrs. Bill Ormsbee, Ionia, Ks,; and a sister-in-law, Mrs. Neil Pate of Esbon, Ks., and many nieces and nephews and numerous friends and neighbors.
Pallbearers were his nephews: Keith Ormsbee, LeRoy Diers, Roger Rooker, Terry Ault, Terry Pate, and Eldon Pate.
Funeral services were held March 25, 1978, at the Kramer Funeral Home in Mankato, Kansas, with the Reverend Jim Swank officiating. Music was furnished by Dorothy Phillips, organist, and Wanda Thummel, singing, "In the Garden" and "How Great Thou Art." Burial was in the Esbon Cemetery.
Josiah married Goldie Mae Ault, daughter of Lyman Clair Ault and Nellie Adelphia Fuqua, on 28 Dec 1932 in Imperial, Nebraska. (Goldie Mae Ault was born on 29 Apr 1914 in Lamar, Chase County, Nebraska, died on 19 Jun 1988 in Beloit, Mitchell County Hospital, Mitchell County, Kansas and was buried on 23 Jun 1988 in Esbon Cemetery, Esbon Township, Jewell County, Kansas.)