Ruby Charlotte Ault
- Born: 28 Dec 1916, Lamar, Chase County, Nebraska
- Marriage (1): Arthur Franklin Rooker on 1 Jan 1940 in Ionia Township, Jewell County, Kansas
- Marriage (2): Don Sutton on 31 Dec 1976 in La Cygne, Kansas
- Buried: Athens Cemetery, Athens Township, Jewell County, Kansas
Noted events in her life were:
• Census, 1920, Nebraska, Chase County, Lamar Precinct, Cheyenne Street, Roll 983 Book 2, Page 44a. Age 3 yrs.
• Census, 1925, Kansas State Census Collection, Jewell County, Ionia Township, Image 11 of 44. Age 9 yrs.
• Census, 1930, Kansas, Jewell County, Ionia Township, Roll 706, Book 1, Page 100a. Age 13 yrs.
• Census, 1940, Kansas, Jewell County, Ionia Township, Image 9 of 12. Age 24 yrs.
• Newspaper Article, 27 Jun 1963, Jewell County Record. Mrs. Ruby Rooker, Postmistress at Ionia, reports that the Ionia Zip Code number is 66947.
• Newspaper Article: Jewell County Record, 12 Aug 1982, Jewell County, Kansas. Ionia Post Office Closed - The Ionia Post Office was closed Friday, August 6, at 9:30 A.M., when Ruby Sutton, postmistress, turned in her supplies and the mail was picked up.
Ruby (Mrs. Don) had been the postmistress since April 1954, 28 years and 4 months. She stated she was giving up the position for health reasons.
The Jewell Carrier, Bill Shewards, will deliver the mail with Ionia address, Rural Route 2, Jewell 66949.
Ruby was night operator with the Ionia Telephone Co. until it was sold in 1959.
Ruby is the daughter of the former Mr. and Mrs Clair Ault who came to Iionia in a covered wagon with their nine children. Another boy wa born after they moved. Ruby started to school in Iionia and graduated from the Ionia High School in 1935. She started working for the telephone company as operator and later became bookkeeper. Ruby's former husband, Art Rooker, passed away in 1970 after 30 years of married life. In 1976 she married Don sutton, retired civil service employee.
Ruby has no definitel plans for the future. She hopes to travel and visit her children. Her daughter, Ilene and husband, Jack Schnorr, and their son, Mark, 16, live in Wichita Falls, Tex. Her son, Roger C. Rooker, has a position with the Division of Accounts in the Department of Administration in Topeka. He and his wife, the former Andrea Wilson, have a son, Eric, 4. Ruby's sister, Goldie Pate of Ionia, was an office clerk in the post office for a number of years.
One of the features of the Ionia post office that will be missed is the magazine exchange she had in the lobby. She also gave souvenir pens to customers and friends each year at Christmastime.
The Ionia Post Office opened in 1871 with Seneca Summer, the first postmaster. After that, the following served: George Barnett, 1874;
Herman Colson, 1878; Benjamin Pound, 1882; Herman Colson, 1882; Will Alcorn, 1893; Clement Mullin, 1897; Mary E. Yapp, 1902; Herman Colson, 1904; Vernon Collie, 1929; Raymond Hollowly, 1944; Earl Hall, 1946; William I. Alcorn, February 1948; Dorothy Stites, November 1948; Ruby Rooker, 1954.
Ruby married Arthur Franklin Rooker, son of George Edward Rooker and Sophia Stoeber, on 1 Jan 1940 in Ionia Township, Jewell County, Kansas. (Arthur Franklin Rooker was born on 21 Jan 1911 in Chillicothe, Ross County, Ohio, died on 13 Apr 1970 in Ionia Township, Jewell County, Kansas and was buried in Athens Cemetery, Athens Township, Jewell County, Kansas.)
Ruby next married Don Sutton, son of Robert W. Sutton and Myrtle Eliza Henry, on 31 Dec 1976 in La Cygne, Kansas. (Don Sutton was born on 4 Feb 1910 in Hub City, Wisconsin.)