David John Ireland
- Born: 9 Mar 1872, Fairbury, Jefferson County, Nebraska
- Marriage: Flora Ann Mitcham on 15 Mar 1894 in Fairbury, Jefferson County, Nebraska
- Died: 5 Jan 1944, Long Beach, Los Angeles County, California at age 71
- Buried: Angeles Abby Memorial Park, Los Angeles County, California
Noted events in his life were:
• Census, 1880, Nebraska, Jefferson County, Richland Township, Roll 750 Book 1, Page 599a. Age 8 yrs., at home.
• Census, 1885, Nebraska State Census Collection, Jefferson County, Richland Township, Image 209 of 492. Age 12 yrs., at school.
• Census, 1900, Nebraska, Jefferson County, Newton Township, Steel City Village, Image 3 of 21. Age 28 yrs., married 6 yrs., Butcher.
• Census, 1910, Nebraska, Jefferson County, Fairbury Precinct, Fairbury City, Image 16 of 56. Age 38 yrs., married 16 yrs., Fireman, Locomotive.
• Census, 1920, Nebraska, Jefferson County, Fairbury Township, Image 42 of 62. Age 47 yrs., Engineer, Locomotive.
• Census, 1930, Nebraska, Jefferson County, Fairbury City, Image 6 of 29. Age 58 yrs., age of first marriage:21 yrs., Locomotive Engineer, railroad.
• Census, 1940, California, Los Angeles County, Long Beach, Image 21 of 24. Age 68 yrs., city of residence in 1935 was Fairbury, Jefferson County, Nebraska. 514 Newport street.
• California Death Index, 5 Jan 1944, Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, California. Name: David J Ireland
Social Security #: 0
Birth Date: 9 Mar 1872
Death Date: 5 Jan 1944
Death Place: Los Angeles
Mother's Maiden Name: Dick
Father's Surname: Ireland
• Obituary, 5 Jan 1944, Long Beach, Los Angeles County, California. D. J. Ireland of Long Beach, California, former resident of Fairbury, passed away in a Long Beach hospital on January 5, 1944 at the age of 72 years, nine months and 26 days.
D. J. Ireland was born March 9, 1872 near Fairbury, Nebraska. He was the son of James Ireland and Isabel Dick Ireland. His parents were early settlers in Jefferson county, coming in 1869. His father was county commissioner and served as sheriff in 1888. He was reared north of Fairbury in the Zion community. On March 15, 1894, he married Flora Mitcham, daughter of the late H. W. Mitcham, of the Rose Creek vicinity south of Fairbury.
In May of 1901 he entered the service of the Rock Island railroad at Fairbury as a round house laborer. On December 21, 1901 he was promoted to locomotive fireman and on August 1, 1905, he was promoted to locomotive engineer, which position he held until his retirement on July 31, 1937.
After his retirement Mr. and Mrs. Ireland moved to Long Beach, California, where he made his home until his death.
He was a member of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers; the Elks lodge of Fairbury and the Presbyterian church in Long Beach.
He is survived by his wife, two children, J. W. of Benkelman, Nebraska and Abbie, Mrs. Milo Brown of Long Beach, California, by two step brothers, John Ireland of Denver, Colorado and Lynn Ireland of Omaha, four grandchildren, Max D. Brown and Milo E. Brown, Jr., both of Long Beach, California, Mrs. Iral Anderson of Schuyler, Nebraska and Captain James W. Ireland of Shreveport, Louisiana, by three great grandchildren; and by F. G. Armogast, of El Monte, California, two sisters, Mrs. Elizabeth Dick of Silverton, Oregon and Alice, Mrs. Armogast, of El Monte, California.
David married Flora Ann Mitcham, daughter of Henry Wesley Mitcham and Anna Eliza Cox, on 15 Mar 1894 in Fairbury, Jefferson County, Nebraska. (Flora Ann Mitcham was born on 1 Sep 1877 in Newton, Jefferson County, Nebraska, died on 29 Apr 1960 in Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, California and was buried in Westminster Memorial Park, Westminster, Orange County, California.)