Bertha Mae McGaughey
- Born: 6 Aug 1879, Alledo, Mercer County, Illinois
- Marriage: William Franklin Covert on 4 Apr 1897 in Chase County, Nebraska
- Died: 18 Sep 1969, Holyoke, Phillips County, Colorado at age 90
- Buried: 22 Sep 1969, Holyoke Memorial Park Cemetery, Holyoke, Phillips County, Colorado
Noted events in her life were:
• Census, 1900, Nebraska, Chase County, Lamar Precinct, Page 164. Age 20 yrs., married 3 yrs.
• Census, 1910, Nebraska, Chase County, Lamar Precinct, Roll 840 Book 2, Page 217a. Age 30 yrs., married 13 yrs., mother of 6 children, 5 children living.
• Census, 1920, Nebraska, Chase County, Lamar Precinct, Roll 983 Book 2, Page 45b. Age 40 yrs.
• Census, 1930, Nebraska, Chase County, Lamar Precinct, District 10, Image 4 of 5. Age 51 yrs., age of first marriage 17 yrs.
• Obituary: Holyoke Enterprise, 25 Sep 1969, Holyoke, Colorado. BERTHA M. COVERT RITES, SEPTTEMBER 22
Funeral services were held Monday, September 22, 1969, from the United Methodist church in Holyoke, for Mrs. Bertha M. Covert, 90, who passed away September 18, 1969, at the Sheridan Manor, Holyoke, following an extended illness.
Rev. Kenneth Meade, Rev. Ralph Miller and Rev. W.L. Youngblood oficiated at the service. Interment was at Holyoke Memorial park.
Bertha Mae McGaughey, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James Francis McGaughey was born August 6, 1879, at Aledo, Illinois. She came with her parents to Grant, Nebraska, in the mid eighties and then shortly afterward moved to Phillips County, where she has resided for 80 years. She and her family were among the early pioneers of this part of the country.
She was married to William F. Covert on April 4, 1897 and to this union was born seven sons and three daughters. Two sons died in infancy and a daughter, Bernice, died November 26, 1967. Her husband died in 1943.
Mrs. Covert accepted Christ as her Saviour in youth; she was a member of the United Brethren church. She was a quiet, kind and loving wife, mother, and grandmother, and a friend to all.
She is survived by four sons, Wayne, Lamar, Nebraska; Orville and Roy of Holyoke; George, Florencia, South America. Two daughters, Mrs. Kenneth (Margaret) Cranwell, Holyoke, and Mrs. Niles (Minnie) Frosland, Glenwood Springs, 17 grandchildren, 30 great grandchildren, three great great grandchildren, and a number of relatives and a host of friends.
Bertha married William Franklin Covert, son of George Washington Covert and Mary Jane Judd, on 4 Apr 1897 in Chase County, Nebraska. (William Franklin Covert was born on 9 May 1869 in Jasper County, Iowa, died on 3 Apr 1943 in Holyoke, Phillips County, Colorado and was buried on 7 Apr 1943 in Holyoke Cemetery, Phillips County, Colorado.)