Noted events in his life were:
• U.S. Civil War Soldier, 1861-1865, Illinois.
• Marriage, 22 Oct 1866, Freeport, Stephenson County, Illinois. STATE OF ILLINOIS,
• Census, 1870, Illinois, Stephenson County, Freeport Ward 1, Roll 275 Book 1, Page 71a. Age 38 yrs., Blacksmith.
• General History: History of Stephenson County: Freeport, Stephenson County, Ilinois. John Wertman, wagon manufacturer, Van Buren, north of Bridge street; is a native of Mercer County, Pennsylvania, and was born in 1833; he grew up to manhood in that State, and learned his trade in Berks County; he came to Stephenson County in 1858, located in Freeport and engaged in wagon-making, and since then has continued in the business; he owns the place where he carries on his trade. In 1866, he married Sarah A. Ault, in this city; they have two children - Florence and Frances.
• General History: History of Stephenson County: Freeport, Stephenson County, Ilinois.
• Census, 1880, Illinois, Stephenson County, City of Freeport Ward 1, Roll 252 Book 1, Page 57a. Age 48 yrs., Blacksmith.
• Census, 1900, South Dakota, Lawrence County, Upper False Bottom Township, District No. 32. Age 68 yrs., married 33 yrs.
• South Dakota Death Index, 30 Dec 1906, Fall River County, South Dakota. Name: John Wertman
John married Sarah Ann Ault, daughter of David Ault and Eunice Abigail Hay, on 22 Oct 1866 in Freeport, Stephenson County, Illinois. (Sarah Ann Ault was born in Mar 1840 in Wayne County, Ohio, died on 19 Nov 1905 in Lawrence County, South Dakota and was buried in Whitewood Cemetery, Whitewood, Lawrence County, South Dakota, Plot: Sect. 4, Lot 20, Plot 6.)
Noted events in their marriage were:
• Note:: Marriage LIcense Number. 269