Irene Mae Swanson
- Born: 8 Nov 1897, Scandia, Republic County, Kansas
- Marriage: Isaac Preston Gunn on 18 Feb 1920 in Kansas
- Died: 5 Jun 1932, Las Vegas, San Miguel County, New Mexico at age 34
- Buried: Riverview Cemetery, Scandia, Republic County, Kansas
Noted events in her life were:
• Census, 1925, Kansas State Census Collection, Jewell County, Jackson Township, Webber Kansas Post Office, Image 11 of 50. Age 27 yrs.
• Newspaper Article: Scandia Journal, 7 Jul 1927, Scandia, Kansas. Preston Gunn came home this week and will remain here during the harvest season. He and his wife have been living at Las Vagas, New Mexico, for several weeks and they expect to remain there for a year. Mrs. Gunn is improving considarably he says and has gained six pouds in weight. Preston likes the, climate at Las Vagas but says that the Mexicans are not a very sociable class of people and that work is scarce and living expenses high.
Republic City News- Mrs. Gunn was formerly Miss Rena Swanson, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. C. A. Swanson of this palce. She is at a sanitarium for treatment and her many friends in Scandia hope for her complete recovery.
• Census, 1930, Kansas, Jewell County, Jackson township, Image 1 of 9, Preston Gunn. Age 32 yrs., age of first marriage: 21 yrs.
• Newspaper Article, 23 Jun 1932, Belleville Telescope. Mrs. Preston Gunn - Irene Mae Swanson was born November 8, 1897 at Scandia, Kan., and died at Las Vegas, N.M., Sunday, June 5, 1932, being of age, 35 years 2 months and 27 days. She was the oldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. August Swanson and grew in womanhood in this community.
She was married to Preston Isaac Gunn February 18, 1920. The young couple took up their residence on a farm west of Republic where they lived happily until May 1927 when they removed temporarily to new Mexico for the befefit of Mrs. Gunn's health. They returned to thier home in this country in October 1928 with hopes of complete recovery of Mrs. Gunn, but the ravaging ailment would not let go and they again removed to New Mexico only to be separated recently by death.
Mrs. Gunn attended the Scandia schools where she was a diligent student. She attended the United Bretheren Sunday school and was always regarded as a willing and cheerful worker.
Besides her beloved husband she leaves to mourn their loss her parents, Mr. and Mrs. August Swason on Scandia, two sisters, Mrs. Lloyd Tebow of Courtland and Mrs. Gertrude Pieska of Chester, Neb., and three brothers, Stoy Swanson of Lindsborg and Paul and Lee of Scandia. A host of other relatives and friends join the bereaved family in mourning the departure of a loved one.
Funeral services were conducted Friday afternoon from the Gunn home at Republic and the United Brethren church at Scandia with interment at Riverview cemetery. The Rev. V. Glenn Mcgill pastor of the United Brethren-Presbyterian churches officiated.
Irene married Isaac Preston Gunn, son of William Windsor Gunn Sr. and Mary Ellen Vale, on 18 Feb 1920 in Kansas. (Isaac Preston Gunn was born on 22 Apr 1897 in Jackson Township, Jewell County, Kansas, died on 21 Sep 1974 in Mary Lanning Hospital, Hastings, Nebraska and was buried in Rose Mound Cemetery, Republic County, Kansas.)