Joelah Mathilda Van Matre
- Born: 7 Feb 1863, Oneco, Stephenson, Illinois, United States
- Marriage: George Chester Ells on 12 Mar 1883 in Gratiot, Wisconsin
- Died: 6 Aug 1941, Winslow, Stephenson County, Illinois at age 78
- Buried: Rock Lilly Cemetery, Winslow, Stephenson County, Illinois
Noted events in her life were:
• Census, 1870, Illinois, Stephenson County, Winslow Township, Roll 275 Book 1, Page 393a. Age 7 yrs., attending school, attended school within the year.
• Census, 1880, Illinois, Stephenson County, Oneco Township, Roll 253 Book 1, Page 220a. Age 17 yrs., at home.
• Obituary, 6 Aug 1941, Freeport Journal Standard, Freeport, Stephenson County, Illinois. Mrs. George Chester Eells passed away early this morning at her home in Winslow following a long illness. Her maiden name was Joelah Mathilda Van Mater and she was born Feb. 7, 1863, to Joseph L. and Helen Marble Van Matre. She was united in marriage to George Chester Eells at Gratiot, Wis. March 12, 1883. He passed away Nov. 28, 1937. Surviving are two children, Cash R. Eells, of Lena, and Miss Helen C. Eells, of Winslow; four grandchildren, one great-grandchild one sister, Mrs. Fannie Rima of Rising City, Nebr., and two brothers, James A. Van Matre of David City Nebr., Fred Van Matre of Clearfield, S. D. Two sons, Ross, who passed away in infancy, and Clark V. Eells, of Winslow, who died Feb. 7, 1931, preceded their mother in death. Funeral services will be held Friday afternoon at 2 o'clock at the Methodist church in Winslow and interment will be made in Rock Lily cemetery. Mrs. Eells was a member of the Order of the Eastern Star.
Joelah married George Chester Ells on 12 Mar 1883 in Gratiot, Wisconsin. (George Chester Ells was born on 25 Mar 1856 in Stephenson County, Illinios, died on 28 Nov 1937 in Freeport, Stephenson County, Ilinois and was buried in Rock Lilly Cemetery, Winslow, Stephenson County, Illinois.)