Lewis Davis Van Matre
- Born: 20 Sep 1807, Highland County, Ohio
- Marriage (1): Nancy Alexander on 13 Jan 1831 in Clinton, Summit County, Ohio
- Marriage (2): Matilda Ann Matthews on 22 Jun 1856 in Stephenson County, Illinois
- Died: 15 Apr 1886, Oneco, Stephenson County, Illinois at age 78
- Buried: Mount Pleasant Cemetery, Oneco Township, Stephenson County Illinois
Noted events in his life were:
• Note:: History of Stephenson County, 1835. In 1835, Thomas Jefferson and Lewis Davis Van Matre settled one and a half miles west of Oneco, Lewis removing from the lead mines at Galena, and Jefferson coming from Ohio. Morgan Van Matre followed in the footsteps of this brethren a year later, and William Van Matre in 1939, together with Joseph Van Matre.
• Census, 1850, Illinois, Stephenson County, Oneco Township, Roll 129 Book 1, Page 295a. Age 48 yrs.
• Census, 1860, Illinois, Stephenson County, Oneco Township, Orangeville Post Office, Roll 230 Book 1, Page 323. Age 53 yrs.
• General History. The eighth child of Morgan and Mary Van Matre, Lewis Davis, was born September 20, 1807. His first wife was Nancy Donaldson. They were married in 1833, and she passed away in 1855. Lewis then married the widow of his brother, Thomas J. Lewis Davis went to Wisconsin with his brothers, John J. and Joseph. Later he settled in Green County, south of what is now the city of Monroe and only a short distance from his brother Joseph, who lived just south of the Wisconsin-Illinois state line.
Lewis married Nancy Alexander on 13 Jan 1831 in Clinton, Summit County, Ohio. (Nancy Alexander was born in 1805 in Kentucky, died on 4 Oct 1855 in Oneco, Stephenson County, Illinois and was buried in Mount Pleasent Cemetery, Oneco, Stephenson County, Illinois.)
Lewis next married Matilda Ann Matthews on 22 Jun 1856 in Stephenson County, Illinois. (Matilda Ann Matthews was born on 24 Nov 1817 in Clinton County, Ohio, died on 27 Nov 1896 in Stephenson County, Illinois and was buried in Mount Pleasant Cemetery, Oneco, Stephenson County, Illinois.)