Joseph Wilson Van Matre
- Born: 28 Oct 1838, Oneco, Stephenson County, Illinois
- Marriage (1): Samantha Jane Alrledge in 1860
- Marriage (2): Sarah E, Williams on 8 Oct 1858 in Stephenson County, Illinois
- Died: 2 May 1909, Rockford, Winnebago County, Illinois at age 70
Noted events in his life were:
• Census, 1870, Illinois, Stephenson County, Oneco Township, Lena Post Office, Roll 275 Book 1, Page 240b. Age 32 yrs., farmer.
• Census, 1880, Illinois, Stephenson County, Oneco Township, Roll 253 Book 1, Page 218a. Age 41 yrs., farmer, under Health it shows Joseph having a hernia.
• General History, 1880, Stephenson County, Illinois. Joseph W. Van Matre is one of the well known family of that name, whose biographical sketches appear so numerously in the history of this county. He is the son of L. D. Van Matre, and was born October 8, 1838, in the township in which he at present resides. He lived with his parents until twenty years of age, helped till the farm, attended the district school, and obtained his education by observation, and by reading good books and papers. In the spring of 1859, carried away by a spirit of restlessness he started for Pike's Peak, but only reached Ft. Des Moines, Iowa. Remaining there for a while, he returned to this State, and worked by the day until the spring of 1860. He then entered the store of Squire Hartsough, where he was employed as a merchant's clerk for one year.
After serving his connection with Mr. Hartsough our subject farmed one year on is father's place and then moved to the property across the road, where he rented a farm and staid until the spring of 1865. During this year he enlisted in the 46th Illinois Regiment, but the war was at an end, and the Government not needing his services he returned home, and after a year of ding odd jobs moved on the farm which he now occupies. He bought at first one-half of his farm, and several years later purchased the remainder, now owning all together 182 acres of land, all under cultivation except ten acres, which are in timber.
Mr. Van Matre has filled some of the local offices of the township, and politically, is a Democrat. He was married on his birthday anniversary, October 8, 1858, to Miss Sarah Williams, daughter of George Williams, a native of New York. This lady died in the second year of their marriage, soon after the birth of her only child, George W., who is now living in New York City. He was married for the second time in 1860, to Samantha J. Arledge, daughter of William Arledge, a native of Ohio. Mrs. Van Matre was born in Highland County, Ohio, August 19, 1843. Her father had been a teacher all of his life, mostly in district and village schools.
The children born to Mr. and Mrs. Van Matre are; Dora B., who has become Mrs. Bowen; Lewis D.; Thomas J., who died September 10, 1887; Emma R., Fred N., and Joseph C., who all reside at home. The family belongs to the Christian Church. It is a fine home where the family live, as appears from the excellent lithographic view elsewhere given, and it is endeared to them by many ties of tender interest and memory. Mr. Van Matre and family are highly respected in the community where they reside.
• General History, 1880, Oneco Township, Stephenson County, Illinois. J. W. Van Matre, stock and grain farmer, Sec. 21; P.O. Oneco; born in Stephenson County on the homestead, October 28, 1838, and was a member of the L. D. Van Matre's family, consisting of Joseph W., Thomas J., Willard N., Mary El, now Mrs. Sagofer; Melissa, not Mrs. Arledge; Caroline, now Mrs. Rote, and Lucy P., now Mrs., Batten. Mr. J. W. Van Matre owns 202 acres of the estate, and is engaged in raising Norman horses, and with his brother William Raymond interested in short-horses, with which they are very successful; he has now the finest Norman mares in Stephenson County. On October 28, 1858, he married Miss Sarah E. Williams, of New York, who died in 1859; he was married again in 1860, to Miss Samantha Arledge; they have five children - Dora B. L. D., T. J., Emma and Freddie N. Politics, Democrat.
• Census, 1900, Illinois, Stephenson County, Oneco Township, Roll 346 Book 2, Page 115a. Age 61 yrs., married 34 yrs., salesman.
Joseph married Samantha Jane Alrledge, daughter of William Alrledge and Unknown, in 1860. (Samantha Jane Alrledge was born on 20 Aug 1843 in Highland County, Ohio and died on 3 Jun 1918 in Oneco, Stephenson County, Illinois.)
Joseph next married Sarah E, Williams, daughter of George Williams and Unknown, on 8 Oct 1858 in Stephenson County, Illinois. (Sarah E, Williams was born about 1839 in New York and died in 1860 in Stephenson County, Illinois.)