William Windsor "Willie" Gunn Jr.
- Born: 25 Jan 1892, Buffalo Township, Barton County, Kansas
- Marriage: Erma Bernice Dick on 18 Nov 1917 in Manhattan, Kansas
- Died: 22 Aug 1976, Superior, Nuckolls County, Nebraska at age 84
- Buried: Plot: Block 10, Lot 108, Evergreen Cemetery, Superior, Nuckolls County, Nebraska
Noted events in his life were:
• Census, 1895, Kansas State Census Collection, Jewell County, Jackson Township, Webber Post Office, Image 43 of 91. Age 3 yrs.
• Census, 1900, Kansas, Jewell County, Jackson Township, Roll 484 Book 1, Page 172. Age 8 yrs., single.
• Census, 1905, Kansas State Census Collection, Jewell County, Jackson Township, Hardy Nebraska Post Office, Image 1 of 72. Age 13 yrs.
• General History: Education: Nebraska. Attended School # 117, King School 1898-1900 and 1902-1904 Webber, Kansas. Hardy, Nebraska 1908-1909.
• Census, 1910, Kansas, Jewell County, Jackson Township, Roll 442 Book 3, Page 169a. Age 18 yrs., single, farm laborer.
• Census, 1915, Kansas State Census Collection, Jewell County, Jackson Township, Image 9 of 61. Age 23 yrs.
• WW I Draft Registration, 5 Jun 1917, Jackson Township, Jewell County, Kansas.
Name in full: William W. Gunn Jr.
Age in yrs: 25
Home address: Hardy, Nebraska
Date of birth: January 25, 1892
Are you a natual-born citizen: yes
Where were you born: Barton County, Kansas
What is your present trade, occupation, or office: Farming
By whom employed: Self
Where employed: Jewell County, Kansas
Have you a father, mother, wife, child under 12, or a sister or brother under 12, solely dependent on your for support: No
Married or single: Single
What military service have you had: None
Tall, medium, or short: Medium
Slender, medium, or stout: Medium
Color of eyes: Blue
Color of hair: L. Brown
Has person lost arm, let, hand, feet, or both eyes, or is he otherwise disabled: No
Signed, June 5, 1917, Jackson Township, Jewell County, Kansas
• Newspaper Article, 22 Nov 1917, Belleville Telescope And Belleville Freeman. Marriage Licenses
Probate Judge E. M. Crane issued marriage licenses to the following couples last week: Wm. W. Gunn, Jr., of Hardy, Neb., and Miss Erma Bernice Dick of Courtland, Friday, November 16th.
• Census, 1920, Kansas, Republic County, Big Bend Township, Roll 547 Book 1, Page 47a. Age 27 yrs., farmer.
• Census, 1925, Kansas State Census Collection, Jewell County, Jackson Township, Image 3 of 50. Age 33 yrs.
• Census, 1930, Kansas, Jewell County, Jackson Township, Roll 706 Book 1, Page 106b. Age 38 yrs., age at first marriage 25 yrs., farmer.
• Census, 1940, Kansas, Jewell County, Jackson Township, Image 6 of 8. Age 48 yrs., farming, farm.
• Newspaper Article, 4 Dec 1969, Jewell County Record. Mr. and Mrs. Maurice Lawson of Pennalosa were overnight guests of Mr. and Mrs. W. W. Gunn Saturday night. The Gunn family enjoyed a get together at the Barney Crook home in Superior Sunday. The guests included Mr. and Mrs. Marvin McDill and sons of Belleville, Mr. and Mrs. Toby Kramer of Mankato, Mrs. Marion Ault and children of Colby, Mr. and Mrs. Maurice Lawson, and Mr. and Mrs. W. W. Gunn.
• Newspaper Article, 11 Jun 1970, Jewell County Record. Douglas, David and Dea Ault have been visiting their grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. W. W. Gunn, the past week.
• Newspaper Article: Saide Gunn Obituary (William Gunn's sister), 17 Jul 1971, Hemet, Riverside County, California.
Saide Gunn Dies; Service Tuesday
Services will be held Tuesday at 11:30 a.m. at Harford Funeral Home for Sadie D. Gunn, 82, of Hemet, who died here recently. The Rev. Donald W. Liden will officiate. Burial follows in San Jacinto Valley Cemetery.
Miss Gunn was born in Jewell County, Kansas, on August 11, 1888. She was a secretary and a nurse during her adult life; came to Hemet five and one half years ago.
Survivors include four brothers; Marion Gunn of Hemet, California, W. W. Gunn Jr. of Superior, Nebraska, Ralph R. Gunn of Courtland, Kansas, and Preston Gunn of Hardy, Nebraska, and 15 nieces and nephews.
• Social Security Death Index, Aug 1976, Superior, Nuckolls County, Nebraska.
Name: William Gunn
Last Residence: 68978 Superior, Nuckolls, Nebraska, United States of America
Born: 25 Jan 1892
Died: Aug 1976
State (Year) SSN issued: Nebraska (Before 1951)
• Obituary, 26 Aug 1976, Superior Express.
Webber Services for W.W. Gunn
Funeral services for W. W. Gunn, 84, were conducted at the Webber United Methodist Church Wednesday at 10 AM. Mr. Gunn died Sunday noon at the Nuckolls County Hospital after being hospitalized only a few hours.
Survivors are his wife Erma; 5 daughters, Mrs. Maurice Lawson (Bernice) of Penaloss, KS, Mrs. Marion Ault of Salina, Mrs, Toby Kramer (Kathleen) of Mankato, Mrs. Marvin McDill (Irene) of Bellville; and Mrs. Barney Crook (Evelyn) of Superior; 13 granchildren and 9 great-grandchildren.
Burial: Evergreeen Cemetery
• Obituary, 2 Sep 1976, Belleville Telescope.
William Windsor Gunn, Jr. died August 22, at the age of 84 years, 6 months and 28 days.
William Windsor, son of Mary Ellen Vale and William Windsor Gunn, was bom January 25, 1892 in Barton County Kansas near the town of Dundee. He moved with his family to Jewell County, by covered wagon at the age of two. He received his formal education at the King School District; at Webber, and attended high school at Hardy.
On November 18,1917 he was united in marriage to Erma Bemice Dick at Manhattan. They lived on a farm in Republic County until 1924 when they moved east of Webber. They resided here until 1971 when they retired to their present home in Superior.
Five daughters were bom to this union, Mrs. Maurice (Bernice), Lawson of Penalosa; Mrs. A. T. (Kathleen) Kramer of Mankato; Marian Ault of Salina; Mrs. Barney (Evelyn) Crook of Superior and Mrs. Marvin McDill of Belleville.
Other survivors are his wife , one brother, Marion of California, 13 grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren.
He was preceeded in death by his parents, four brothers, Chester, Lucien, Ralph, Preston, and one sister, Sarah.
Funeral services were held at the United Methodist church, Webber, at 10:00 a.m., Wednesday, August 25. Rev. Arnold Roland and Rev. Loren Silsby officiated.
Burial was made in the Evergreen Cemetery, Superior.
• Obituary: Scandia Journal, 9 Sep 1976, Scandia, Kansas.
Mr. and Mrs. Maurice Lawson and Mrs. Don Rudicel, Debra, Denise and David of Penalosa, Kan., Mr. and Mrs. Earl Reno, and Greg of Cheney, Mrs. Charles T. Kramer. Brian and Patrick of Santa Ana, Calif., Kerry Peterson of Pueblo, Colo., Alene Kramer, of Hastings, Mr. and Mrs. Curtis Ault of Euless, Texas, David Ault, of Ionia, Kan., Mrs. Marian Ault and Dee of Salina, Mr. and Mrs. Marvin McDill of Belleville, Mr. and Mrs. Richard Sholtz and Jeremy of Junction City, Michael Metzler of Wichita, Mr. and Mrs. Jerry Heskett and Chad of Lincoln, Mr. and Mrs. Robert Dailey of Collins, Iowa, and Mrs. Hugh Stewart of Pawnee City, Neb., were the relatives who came from a distance to attend memorial services for William W. Gunn at the United Methodist Church in Webber Wednesday morning.
• Family Reunion, 17 Sep 1998, Belleville, Republic County, Kansas.
Gunn Reunion: The descendants of William Windsor Gunn, Ralph Raymond Gunn and Isaac Preston Gunn held their first reunion at the home of Marvin and Eilene McDill, Belleville, on Sunday, August 9, 1998.
Attending were Donald and Cheryl Gunn, Steve and Pat Gunn, Jared and Levi, Superior, Neb.; Angela Gunn, Seattle, Wash.; Darrin Gunn, Lincoln, Neb.; Sandra Gunn Skinner and Jack Skinner, Pam Skinner, Gold Canyon, Ariz.; Pat Barnett and Jessica, Rexford; John Gunn and friend Barbara, Salina; Mrs. Charles (Lela) Gunn, Marilynn Gunn Birrell and Darrell Birrell, Kim Birrell, Gregory A. Birrell and Aaron Birrell, Ralph Gunn Jr., and Eltona Gunn, Robert and Shirley Gunn, Jim Gunn and friend Leslie Sill, Connie Gunn Smith, Republic; Laura Birrell Robertson, Salina; Bernice Gunn Lawson and Maurice Lawson, Connie Lawson Reno, Hutchinson.
Sandra Lawson Messenger, Dodge City; Debra Rudicel Smart and Doug Smart, Jessica, Robin and Becky, Abilene; Denise Rudicel Youtsey and Bruce, Youtsey, Taylor and Wyatt, Shawnee; David and Rhonda Rudicel, Devin, and Savannah, Lenexa; Kathleen Gunn Kramer, Mankato; Kerry Kramer Santangelo and Charles Santangelo, Reah Santangelo, Pueblo, Colo.; Linda Alene Kramer Silver and Wyett L. Silver, Lavista, Neb.; Erin M. Silver, Omaha, Neb; Evelyn Gunn Crook and Barney Crook, Julie Crook Delka and Kim Delka, Adam and Levi, Superior, Neb.; Kathy Crook Heskett and Jerry Heskett, Chad Heskett, Lincoln, Neb.; Eilene Gunn McDill and Marvin McDill, Belinda Gunn and Jason, Belleville; Richard and Peggy Sholtz, Kelly Sholtz; Chapman; Jeremy Sholtz, Manhattan; Michael and Tammy Metzler, Kaitlin Metzler, Topeka.
William married Erma Bernice Dick, daughter of William Sherman Dick and Elizabeth (Lizzie) Marjorie Ireland, on 18 Nov 1917 in Manhattan, Kansas. (Erma Bernice Dick was born on 2 Sep 1899 in Lastant, La Salle County, Illinois, died on 5 Jan 1980 in Superior, Nuckolls County, Nebraska and was buried on 8 Jan 1980 in Plot: Block 10, Lot 108, Evergreen Cemetery, Superior, Nuckolls County, Nebraska.)