Bernice LeRoy "Barney" Crook
- Born: 12 Apr 1925, Mt. Clare, Nuckolls County, Nebraska
- Marriage: Mary Evelyn Gunn on 1 May 1955 in Webber, Jewell County, Kansas
- Died: 30 Nov 2003, Superior, Nuckolls County, Nebraska at age 78
- Buried: Evergreen Cemetery, Superior, Nuckolls County, Nebraska
Noted events in his life were:
• Census, 1930, Nebraska, Nuckolls County, City of Superior, District 22, Image 38 of 61. Age 5 yrs.
• Social Security Death Index, 30 Nov 2003, Superior, Nuckolls County, Nebraska. Name: Bernice L. Crook
Last Residence: 68978 Superior, Nuckolls, Nebraska, United States of America
Born: 12 Apr 1925
Died: 30 Nov 2003
State (Year) SSN issued: Nebraska (Before 1951)
Name: Bernice Leroy Crook [Bernice L Crook]
Birth Date: 12 Apr 1925
Birth Place: MT Clare Nuc, Nebraska
Death Date: 30 Nov 2003
Father: John L Crook
Mother: Mary E Ziegler
Type of Claim: Original SSN.
Notes: Apr 1941: Name listed as BERNICE LEROY CROOK; 05 Dec 2003: Name listed as BERNICE L CROOK
• Obituary: The Nelson Gazette, 4 Dec 2003, Superior, Nuckolls County, Nebraska. Bernice LeRoy (Barney) Crook, son of John Lafayette Crook and Mary (Mae) Elizabeth Zeigler Crook was born Easter Sunday, April 12, 1925 in Mt. Clare, NE. He was named after his Uncle Bernice (Barney) Barnes. He departed this life on Sunday, November 30, 2003 at the Brodstone Memorial Hospital in Superior, NE at the age of 78 years.
At the age of 2, his family moved to Superior and he attended Superior Schools until the 8th grade when he went to work as a painter with his father.
Barney entered the Navy on July 16, 1943. As a veteran of World War II, he served on the USS General G.O. Squier and was honorably discharged on March 29, 1946.
On May 1, 1955 Barney was united in marriage to Evelyn Gunn at the Methodist Church in Webber, KS. Evelyn brought her daughter Kathy Eilene to this union and Julie Ann was born January 5, 1959.
Barney and family lived in Geneva, NE for a couple of years and was a longtime resident of Superior. He was employed by Ideal Market, Safeway, Superior Police Department and was a painter for many years. He was a member of the Superior American Legion, VFW and Eagles. Barney was baptized on February 12, 1961 and was a member of the First Congregational Church of Geneva, NE. He was an avid gardener for many years. He loved to hunt, play horseshoes, play cards, camp, boat and fish at Lovewell Lake.
Barney was preceded in death by his wife Evelyn, his parents, brothers, Percy, Dale, Glen and sister Nellie Hanson.
Survivors include daughters Kathy Eilene Heskett and husband Jerry of Lincoln, NE. Julie Ann Delka and husband Kim of Superior, NE; grandsons Chadwick Heskett and wife Erin of Lincoln, NE, Adam Delka, New York City, Levi Delka, Lincoln, NE; sisters Mrs. Gordon (Lucille) McKee of Superior, Mrs. Vance (Velma) Ellis of Superior, NE; nieces, nephews, other relatives and a host of friends.
Family graveside services were conducted by Williams Funeral Home on Wednesday, December 3 at 1:00 PM in Superior, NE with Rev. Mark Diehl officiating.
Bernice married Mary Evelyn Gunn, daughter of William Windsor "Willie" Gunn Jr. and Erma Bernice Dick, on 1 May 1955 in Webber, Jewell County, Kansas. (Mary Evelyn Gunn was born on 8 Aug 1934 in Jackson Township, Jewell County, Kansas, died on 21 Jul 2000 in Superior, Nuckolls County, Nebraska and was buried in Evergreen Cemetery, Superior, Nuckolls County, Nebraska.)