arrow arrow
Valentine Alt
Maria Catharine Schmidt
Peter Lau
Valentine "Felty" Ault Jr.
Maria Catharine Lau
Johann Peter Ault


Family Links

Barbara Divan

Johann Peter Ault

  • Born: 16 Feb 1776, West Manchester, York County, Pennsylvania
  • Christened: 25 Feb 1776, West Manchester, York County, Pennsylvania
  • Marriage: Barbara Divan in 1800 in Washington County, Pennsylvania
  • Died: 22 Jun 1843, Coshocton, Coshocton County, Ohio at age 67

bullet  Noted events in his life were:

Baptism, 25 Feb 1776, St. Paul's (Wolf's) Union church, West Manchester township, York County, Pennsylvania. Sponsors: Peter Lau, Eva Lau, single

Census: Pennsylvania, 1800, Washington County, Somerset Township.

Property, 23 Sep 1809, Belmont County, Ohio.

Military Service, WAR OF 1812. From "History of Belmont and Jefferson Counties" - J. A. Caldwell, 1880, page 193-195. President Madison issued his proclamation declaring war with Great Britain on the 18th day of July, 1872. Belmont county had at that time less than 13,000 inhabitants. The tidings of war spread rapidly, and the excitement, which always follows such a cry, grew intense. The following, obtained from Colonel James F. Charlesworth, of St. Clairsville, shows the names of the Captains having companies in the service from this county, during that conflict. In the First Regiment, of which DeLong was Colonel, there appears to have been six companies. -FIRST OHIO REGIMENT- Captain John Howell's company. Captain James Campbell's company. Captain Joseph Holmes' company. Captain William Stephen's company. Captain John Hall's company. Captain Daniel Conner's company. -THIRD OHIO REGIMENT- Col. L. Cass. Captain Robert Morrison's company. -FOURTH OHIO REGIMENT- Captain Solomon Bentley's company. -OTHER COMPANIES- Captain Joseph Kirkwood, (regiment unknown.) Captain William Williams, (regiment unknown.) -OHIO MILITIA- Captain Robert Irwin's company. Captain Absolom Martin's company. Captain John McElroy's (Independent company.) As will be observed by the above list Belmont county furnished over a regiment of volunteers and drafted men in the war of 1812. At so late a day it is difficult to ascertain any facts in relation to these companies, and all that can be found is mostly traditional. Only one muster-roll, we believe, is extant in the county. Captain Robert Morrison's company was the first one mustered into service. From Indian Springs, Belmont county, where it was encamped and partly recruited, it marched to Zanesville, where the the men received their coat of arms. This company was in Hull's surrender, August 16, 1812. Captain Morrison was promoted to Major during his service, Wm. Gill succeeded him as captain, and W. Warner, First Lieutenant. On the 3d of September, 1813, Capt. John Howell's company met at St. Clairsville and marched through Barnesville, Zanesville and Newark to Columbus, where they were fully equipped. Most of this company were from about Captina and McMahon's creeks. The company belonged to the First Regiment, under Col. DeLong. From Columbus they marched to the mouth of Sandusky river, and from that point were taken to Put-in-Bay Island. This company assisted in the guarding of the Detroit and Queen Charlotte, two of the vessels captured in Perry's victory, September 10, 1813. At that time the British called the American vessels the "Musket Fleet." Captain McElroy's company was an independent rifle company, and was ordered into the United States service on the 19th day of October, 1812. Captain Solomon Bentley was promoted to the position of Major whilst in service. This company belonged to the Fourth Regiment O. M. An incident is given concerning one of these companies which is worthy of notice. Major Thompson says a company from Belmont county was stationed in a fort at a certain point on the Sandusky river, where a slight skirmish took place between it and the British forces. The enemy loaded one of their heavy guns with a piece of a log chain and shot it into the fort. One of the company, a brave, daring sort of fellow, named John Guddarl, mounted the wall of the fort immediately after this shot was fired, and looking over toward the enemy, at the same time yelling at the top of his voice: "Lookout, boys! lookout! The next thing you will find coming from their cannons will be a yoke of oxen." This was said in a ludicrous manner. He had scarcely uttered these words, when simutaneously with the report of the enemy's gun, he fell back from the wall, severed in halves by a second log chain sent from the mouth of one of their cannons. The following is copied from an old book kept by McElroy, captain of the volunteer company recruited about St. Clairsville, and which left for the service October 20th, 1812. This company was out only a short time, and rendezvoused near Mansfield most of the time: -OFFICERS- John McElroy, Captain. Anthony Weyer, Lieutenant. David Work, Ensign. -PRIVATES- Steven Shipman, Anthony Smith, Robert Hardesty, James Henderson, Samuel Hardesty, Robert Robertson, James Nellands, Alexander Work, John Logan, Isaac Buskirk, Charles Vanwey, Messor Ward, James Taggart, Samuel Cuclar, James Hughes, Daniel Dean, Joseph Russle, John Duff, John Sharp, David McClelland, William Graham, Alexander Smiley, George Wilson, Wiliam Ranason, Benjamin Dean, David Duff, Peter Ault, Charles Baker, Jacob Grubb, Aaron Dean, Thomas Garly, John Ranason, Samuel Marker, John Zimmerman. "Marched from St. Clairsville on the 20th of October, 1812 and encamped at Washington Springs, 2 miles from St. Clairsville and continuted in camp for three days. On Saturday, 24th, marched to Morristown, and encamped in the suburbs of the same. Sunday, 25th - Struck our tents and marched before Duncan Morrison's door and dressed in a line, and was handsomely addressed from the porch by the Rev. Joseph Anderson, entreating us to observe the Sabbath day, &c, &c, &c. We marched from thence to Mr. __ Huffman's. Monday, 26th - Marched from thence to Cambridge and lodged with Mr. T. Stewart. Met with J. Russel and gave him a furlough. Tuesday, 27th - Marched from thence to Mr. John Brown's. Wednesday, 28th - Marched from thence to Zanesville; arrived about 12 o'clock. Raining on us about one day. Marched to the court house and halted, and then to the barrack at the sign of the Lamb. Thursday, 29th - Continued in the barracks, and drew and receipted nine ovens and stew-kettles with two lids. Friday, 30th - Continued in the barracks and drew nine blankets and five pairs of shoes at one dollar and seventy-five cents. The blankets, three of them at four dollars and fifty cents each, and six at three dollars and fifty cents each. The following is the way the poor soldiers had to receipt for what they got, and if the government didn't pay for their clothing they did out of their wages. "Received of Captain John McElroy one blanket, for which I promise to pay out of my wages while in the United States service, unless paid for by the government. The price being four dollars and fifty cents. ROBERT ROBERTSON." "Received of Captain John McElroy, one blanket, for which I promise to pay our of my wages while in the United States service, unless payed for by the government. The price being three dollars and fifty cents. His JAMES HUGHES Mark. "Test: ROBERT ROBERTSON." "Received of Captain John McElroy, one pair of shoes, for which I promise to pay out of my wages, while in the service of the United States. The price being one dollar and seventy-five cents. GEORGE WILSON" Saturday, 31st - Continued in barracks and gave an account of the cost of a tent, clothing, , &c, - amounts to $74.15 cents. Sunday, 1st November - March from Zanesville about 11 o'clock A.M. to Licking Camp, about three miles from Zanesville. Monday 2d - Struck our tents and marched, passing the furnace and forge about 1 1/2 miles from our camp, and continued our march to the Greentree, 9 miles. Tuesday, 3d - Struck our tents and marched 13 1/2 miles to Newark. Wednesday, 4th - Struck our tents and marched fifteen miles to Davises and encamped in the woods, before his door, and it rained all night on us. Thursday, 5th - Struck our tents and marched through the mud, ten miles to Mount Vernon and crossed Owl creek, just at the town. Friday, 6th - Struck our tents and marched through the mud to Mr. Filton, 10 miles, and met Captain Bemer's company and Captain Martin's and exchanged wagons with Captain Martin, &c. Owing to the mutilated pages there occurs an omission of Sunday. From one line still remaining it is to be seen that they "drew nothing to eat but some potatoes. The men growled very much." Monday, 9th - Continued in camp and drew some potatoes and nothing else. The men almost ready to go home. Hard living on potatoes and nothing else, and very disagreeable weather - raining. Here I must mention the commissaries' names, Henry Laffer, Clark and Dearduff. Tuesday, 10th - Continued in camp. I went to Greentown early in the morning and met the cavalry crossing the Black Fork of Mohican. Crossed the creek and went up to where the town was and found 2,250 Pennsylvania troops. Saturday, 14th - Continued in camp. William Ranason continued unwell, and some men went to Mansfield. Sunday, 15th - Continued in camp; and I. Brown and Dr. Moore came in camp, and fetched a number of letters for us. Got three from my wife and one from my father and one from Col. G. Paull. Monday, 16th - Continued in camp. A. Weyer, I. Brown and Dr. Moore left camp for St. Clairsville, and Capt. James Flogg and myself and others went to Mansfield - came home in the evening. Wm. Ranason continued sick. Tuesday, 17th - Continued in camp. Sent A. Smiley and Wm. Grimes to the Pennsylvania camp for Dr. Hursey to come and see Wm. Ranason. They returned with Dr. Sutton, who left some medicine for him and then left camp. We then took Wm. Ranason to Mr. Newell and left John with him and attended him myself and then went to camp. Wednesday, 18th - Continued in camp, and James Taggart and John Logan were sent to meet the wagon for about four miles to get one-half pint of whiskey for Wm. Ranason to mix medicine in. They returned. I went to see him and found him getting better and returned to the camp. Thursday, 19th - Continued in camp. Ranason getting better, but complains of pain in his breast. Sr. Sutton came to see him and then I returned to camp, and Dr. Sutton to his camp. The Pennsylvanians came with their artillery - about 24 pieces; five of them eighteen pounders; five inches diameter in the lob, weighing 2,900 lbs.; five of this size and the remainder 12 and 6 pounders. They occupied 24 wagons. Friday, 20th - Continued in camp. Wm. Ranason got some better. Pennsylvanians started for Mansfield about 8 o'clock; three well equipped companies. Saturday, 21st - Continued in camp. Wm. Ranason getting better. Nothing else particular. Sunday, 22d - Continued in camp. Unpleasant day. MOnday 23d - Continued in camp. Raining and blustering; very disagreeable. Ranason better. Tuesday, 24th - Continued in camp. This night it snowed about one inch deep, and made nice hunting. D. Work and myself went a hunting and D. W. killed a fine doe, about three miles southeast from our camp. Wednesday, 25th - Continued in camp; went a hunting, and a very cold day. Nothing particular this day. Thursday, 26th - Continued in camp; went a hunting and in the evening shot a fine doe, and followed it with four others about four miles southwest from the camp, till it got so dark I could not see to shoot and came home. Friday, 27th - Continued in camp. It rained this evening and the snow went off. Saturday, 28th - Continued in camp. Wm. Ranason came to camp and is getting well. Sunday, 29th - Continued in camp. Had a very sever storm this morning; raining and blustering, and a tree fell across two of the Pennsylvanian's tent and killed one man, and five or six badly hurt. Not expected to recover. Monday, 30th - Continued in camp. Nothing particular happened this day. 1st, 2d, 3d, 4th - Continued in camp. Saturday, 5th - Continued in camp. A very cold winter day; wind blowing. Sunday, 6th - Continued in camp, and six of our men went home on furlough, and Captain Flogg and five of his men. They went on board the Mohican packet about three-quarters of a mile below the camp, and started down. Three cheers were given by the boys on the bank, which was answered by three from the packet, and then we returned to camp. Monday, 7th - Continued in camp. This day snowing all day, and Anthony Weyer came to camp and brought many things for the company from home. Grubb and Hardesty messes moved to a small cabin down over the creek, and ours and Smiley's messes up the creek to a small cabin. So ends the chapter. Tuesday, 8th - We continued in the cabin and began to build a hut at the east end of the block house. Wednesday, 9th - Continued in the cabin. This is a very cold morning. Finished our cabin. Thursday, 10th - Continued in the cabin, and went to the block house and found our hut down to the ground. Friday, 11th - Continued in the cabin. Very cold weather. Done nothing to the hut. Saturday, 12th - Continued in the cabin. A. Weyer and myself went to Mansfield and settled with Dr. Sutton for services done William Ranason. Sunday, 13th - Continued in the cabin. By my permission, together with the orders of Samuel Connell, Mayor, the bearer, John Zimmerman, is on furlough for six days from this date. Monday, 14th - Continued in the cabin. This morning D. Work and William Grimes went up the Clear Fork a hunting. Nothing particular this day. Tuesday, 15th - Continued in camp. Nothing particular this day. Wednesday, 16th - Continued in the cabin, and D. Work and William Grimes came home. Thursday, 17th - Continued in the cabin. Nothing happened this day. Friday, 18th - Continued in the cabin. This morning we had a bit of a "tiderrei," and it was performed by G. W. flogging Martin Neal. But this afternoon some of our men went to Mansfield and saw the remains of Major Wilson laid away in that strict, solemn and military way, and then returned home. Saturday, 19th - Continued in the cabin. Nothing particular happened this day. Sunday, 20th - Continued in the cabin. This day makes two months since we left home. Major Connell came to the cabin and informed me that he had received orders from the government to dismiss us, and gave a furlough to James Taggart and Samuel Hardesty, and they started home on Monday morning before day. Monday, 21st - Continued in the cabin, and B. and D. Dean, J. Sharp and S. Cuclar went home, and I moved to a little cabin near the block house. Tuesday, 22nd - This morning D. Work, A. Work, D. McClelland, G. Wilson, William Grimes, C. Baker, J. Nellands, A. Smith, I. and D. Duff, J. and William Ranason left the cabin about 2 o'clock P.M. and left A. Smiley and myself in the cabin. We had a fine breakfast of pancakes and sweet milk, &c. This is a fine day..... David Newell came to the cabin to get A. Smiley and myself to help him to clean some wheat that evening. Calculated to go a hunting the next morning. Wednesday, 23rd - Got up in the morning, and A. Smiley and myself was cleaning our guns at the door, when Newell's dogs began barking about half a mile off towards our camp. Newell started; I loaded up and started likewise. When I came up the dogs had treed a grey fox, which I shot and then returned to the house, got our breakfast, and prepared to go over the Black Fork. Got about half a mile and saw two deers, but could not get a shot. We then proceeded and came into the state road about half a mile from the Black Fork; thence proceeded along the road that led from Mansfield to Wooster about one mile, and came to the Black Fork; crossed it on a bridge that the Pennsylvanians made, and then down the creek, on the northeast side about two miles, and came to the Mohican lake. This is a handsome little lake; it is about 170 yards wide and about 250 yards long. It is said that in the middle it cannot be fathomed, and is very good for fish. We crossed on the ice, and then proceeded down the creek about one mile, and there I shot a fine buck, and then we proceeded up the run to the house where four people were killed by the Indians - the father, mother and daughter and a Mr. Rufner. This is a fine place, but looked very desolate. We went into the house and saw their blood on the floor. Such a sight makes men feel. It is said the mother and daughter were found lying before the fire clasped hand in hand. We examined the house, and then went to where they were all buried, all in one grave. We then proceeded home. A. Smiley and D. Newell carried the deer, and I its skin and some other articles about three miles, and then they got tired and hung up the deer. We waded the Black Fork about sundown. We then proceeded and came to Mr. Newell's about 8 o'clock at night. We had a hard tramp. Thursday, 24th - We returned to our little cabin. To-day is snowing and frozen.... Wagons have come for us from James' block house. ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ This company only number thirty-seven, according to the roll appearing on Capt. McElroy's minutes. ANOTHER RELIC OF THE WAR OF '12 James Campbell, M.C., to Judge John Patterson, St. Clairsville, O.: Washington, 28th January, 1815 Dear Sir:- We have just received the disagreeable, though certain information of the capture of the President frigate after an action of more than four hours with four British frigates. Three Lieutenants and ninety men were killed on board of the President. Among the former was a son of Mr. Anderson, a member of this house. Decatur remains unhurt. This information comes from one of the surviving officers of the President. I am, sir, yours in haste, JAMES CALDWELL The following is copied from the original discharge now in the possession of Col. Charlesworth, of St. Clairsville. There were very few discharges granted in that war, and differs greatly from those issued in later wars. DISCHARGE Camp Wood, Oct. 18, 1812 This is to certify that John Hauthorn, a Sergeant in Capt. Holmes' company is discharged from Military Duty for this Tour. Given under my hand this day and date above mentioned. JOHN ANDREWS, Lt. Col. Commandant I believe Mr Hauthorn, of your company unable to perform this present tour of duty. THOMAS CAMPBELL, Sergeon 1st Reg't, 1st Brig., 4th Div. O.M. Contributed by Linda Cunningham Fluharty.

Military Service, 1812. as a private in the Company of Captain John McElroy's Riflemen. The period of service was October 20, 1812 to January 5, 1813.

Military Service, 1813. Pages 237-238. . ROLL OF CAPT. JOHN HOWELL'S COMPANY. (From Belmont County.) . Served from September 3, 1813, until January 3 and March 16, 1814. Capt. John Howell . Lieut. Jacob Moore . Ensign Mathew Howell James Brown . Sergt. Gilbert McCoy . Sertg. James Westlake Sergt. Robert Millawy . Sergt. Robert Hathaway . Sergt. Isaiah Shepherd Corp. Richard McElhiney . Corp. John Arick . Corp. John Shepard Corp. Moses DeLong . Drummer, Phines Shephard . Fifer, Joseph Reed Privates. . Privates. . Privates. Ault, Johann . Ault, Jacob, Sr. . Alban Geo. Aurs, Reuben . Brown, James . Bonor James Belville, James . Roker, Jacob . Carpenter, David Carpenter, Joseph . Carpenter, John . Cobman, Samuel Crow, John . Dinford, William . Dunfleld, Joseph Devall, John . Ferier, John . Grimes, Arthir Hubbs, Isaac . Hartley, David . Joy, John King, Robert . Henthorn, Adam . Kitz, Joseph Kitz, Henry . Limley, George . Latimore, Thomas Lashley, Caleb . Miller, Francis . Miers, George Moore, Samuel . Miller, Frederick . Moose, John McGaughey, William . McElhiny, Richard . Noble, Alexander Petman. Elias . Pound, Joseph . Price, Nathan Ross, Enoch . Ruble, Isaac . Ross, Robinson Rutter, Peter . Rutter, Jonothan . Reed, John Smith, John . Shipman, Mathias . Sprags, John Shepherd, John . Sutton, William . Walters, David Silvers, John . Ward, Moses . Vaneter, Mordicai Workman,, Abraham . Wiley, Joseph . Yoke, Samuel

Property: 160 acres, 5 Nov 1819, Conshocton County, Ohio. On December 26, 1829, Peter and his wife, Barbara deeded this tract of land to Leonard Ault and William Ault.

Census, 1820, Ohio, Coshocton County, Pike Township, Image 1 of 3.

Census, 1830, Ohio, Coshocton, County, Perry Township., Roll 129 Book 1, Page 47a.

Census: Ohio, 1840, Coshocton County, Washington township.

Note:, 1843. Peter died between April 15, 1843, when he signed is will, and June 22, 1843, when it was admitted to probate in Coshocton County, Ohio. In the will, he named the following heirs: his wife, Barbara; his sons, Frederick, Elias, John, Andrew, Leonard; his daughters, Catharine and Elizabeth.


Johann married Barbara Divan, daughter of Leonard Divan and Abigail, in 1800 in Washington County, Pennsylvania. (Barbara Divan was born in 1776 in Washington County, Pennsylvania and died on 25 Apr 1842 in Coshocton, Coshocton County, Ohio.)

Home | Table of Contents | Surnames | Name List

This Web Site was Created 5 Jun 2016 with Legacy 6.0 from Millennia