- Born: 10 Jan 1832, Hankamer, Chambers County, Texas
- Marriage: Celestine Fruge in 1863 in Liberty County, Texas
- Died: 10 Feb 1902, Double Bayou, Chambers County, Texas at age 70
- Buried: Smith Cemetery, Double Bayou, Chambers County, Texas
Noted events in his life were:
• Census, 1850, Texas, Liberty County, Image 33 of 39. Age 18 yrs.
• Obituary, 1903, Double Bayou, Chambers County, Texas. John Smith came to Liberty County, Texas with his parents, Silas and Lurenda (Green) Smith and his brothers and sisters. He married Celestine Fruge in 1863 in Liberty Co., Texas. After the war in 1867 he moved to Double Bayou in Chambers County where he began to obtain vast farm and ranch land.
During the war John Smith fought with the sons of the south, and was engaged in the Battle of Sabine Pass where Dick Dowling and his 40 fighting Irish fought a Yankee contigent.
John married Celestine Fruge, daughter of John Shadrack Fruge and Eliza Jane Whittington, in 1863 in Liberty County, Texas. (Celestine Fruge was born on 4 Jan 1843 in Louisiana, died on 7 Aug 1930 in Double Bayou, Chambers County, Texas and was buried in Smith Cemetery, Double Bayou, Chambers County, Texas.)