John Edward Smith
- Born: 6 Dec 1867, Liberty County, Texas
- Marriage: Mittie Manning on 12 Jun 1894 in Galveston County, Texas
- Died: 19 Nov 1924, Galveston, Galveston County, Texas at age 56
- Buried: Smith Cemetery, Double Bayou, Chambers County, Texas
Noted events in his life were:
• Obituary, 1924, Galveston County, Texas.
John Edward Smith was the son of John Smith and Celestine Fruge Smith. He was born in Liberty County, but by his 13th birthday they lived in Chambers County.
He married Mittie Manning on 12 June 1894 in Galveston County, and they were living in Galveston when the 1900 Hurricane washed away much of Galveston and killed thousands of people. After that they moved to Chambers County, then the city of Houston before ending up in Galveston again. He died in Galveston in 1924. His death certificate says he died of "acute alcoholism" and states he was buried at Double Bayou, Chambers Co., Texas.
John married Mittie Manning, daughter of James Austin Manning and Eliza Jane Calliham, on 12 Jun 1894 in Galveston County, Texas. (Mittie Manning was born on 1 Jul 1868 in Hearne, Robertson County, Texas, died on 22 Feb 1956 in Galveston, Galveston County, Texas and was buried in Galveston Memorial Park, Hitchcock, Galveston County, Texas, Plot: Sec Q, Lot 68, Space 6.)