- Born: 1 Jul 1868, Hearne, Robertson County, Texas
- Marriage: John Edward Smith on 12 Jun 1894 in Galveston County, Texas
- Died: 22 Feb 1956, Galveston, Galveston County, Texas at age 87
- Buried: Galveston Memorial Park, Hitchcock, Galveston County, Texas, Plot: Sec Q, Lot 68, Space 6
Noted events in her life were:
• General History, 1956, Galveston, Galveston County, Texas.
Mittie Manning was a daughter of James A. Manning and Eliza Jane Calliham. She married John Edward Smith on 12 June 1894 in Galveston, Texas. They lived in Galveston and owned a grocery store during the 1900 Great Hurricane. They survived by each carrying a child on their shoulders--water was waist deep. After the hurricane they moved to Chambers County for a few years, then moved back to Galveston. They had five children: Birdie, Maggie Manila, Florence, John James and Krosen Smith.
Mittie's husband John Edward Smith is buried in the cemetery at Double Bayou (according to his death certificate). in Chambers County, Texas.
Mittie married John Edward Smith, son of John Smith and Celestine Fruge, on 12 Jun 1894 in Galveston County, Texas. (John Edward Smith was born on 6 Dec 1867 in Liberty County, Texas, died on 19 Nov 1924 in Galveston, Galveston County, Texas and was buried in Smith Cemetery, Double Bayou, Chambers County, Texas.)