Berdena Margaret Deselms
- Born: 13 Oct 1923, Edison, Furnas County, Nebraska
- Died: 24 Mar 2013, Elwood, Gosper County, Nebraska at age 89
- Buried: Fort McPherson National Cemetery, Maxwell, Lincoln County, Nebraska
Noted events in her life were:
• Census, 1930, Wyoming, Laramie County, District 10, Outside of Burns, Image 6 of 18. Age 6 yrs.
• Census, 1940, Wyoming, Laramie County, District 9, Image 6 of 12. Age 16 yrs.
• Obituary: Kearney Hub, 27 Mar 2013, Kearney, Buffalo County, Nebraska. Berdena M. "Bernie" Gartner, of Johnson Lake, Nebraska, passed away Sunday, March 24, 2013, at Elwood Care Center, Elwood, Nebraska. Bernie was born October 13, 1923, in Edison, Nebraska, to Hugh and Bernice (Stevens) Deselms.
The family moved to the Albin, Wyoming area when she was a child. She graduated from Albin (WY) High School in 1941. She was united in marriage to Raymond Bernard "Ray" Monk in Kimball, Nebraska on September 13, 1942, just before he left for the Navy during World War II. The couple had four children.
Throughout the years they lived in many different places. They lived in California for a time when Ray was in the Navy. They also lived in Wyoming and multiple towns throughout Nebraska. The couple owned and operated several different businesses throughout the years. They divorced in 1977. Bernie was then married to John "Red" Gartner on October 13, 1979. The couple traveled extensively throughout the United States and they took cruises to Alaska, the Caribbean, Mexico and Europe.
Upon their retirement 25 years ago, they wintered in Pharr, Texas. In addition to their extensive travels they were avid golfers. She also loved to read, cook, and sew. Red and Bernie were huge Nebraska Cornhusker football fans.
Bernie had an unusual situation growing up in her family. She had multiple double cousins, as her mother and two of her aunts married brothers. Needless to say, they were always a close-knit family and remained so to this day.
Bernie is survived by: husband, John "Red" Gartner of Johnson Lake, Nebraska; children, Bonnie Newman of Lyons, Colorado; Dennis Monk of Keystone, Nebraska; Jon Monk of Grand Island, Nebraska; Patrick Monk of Denver, Colorado; stepsons, Rick Gartner of Kearney, Nebraska and Jim Gartner of Lincoln, Nebraska; eleven grandchildren, many great-grandchildren; brother, Lyle "Jack" (Anne) Deselms of Lebanon, Missouri; sisters-in-law, Norma Deselms of Albin, Wyoming and Delores Monk Bennett of Oxford, Nebraska and a host of relatives and friends.
Bernie was preceded in death by: parents; brother, Kenneth Deselms; sister, Margie Butler; her children's father, Raymond Bernard "Ray" Monk; daughter-in-law, Sandi Monk and stepson, Adam Gartner.
Burial was in the Fort McPherson National Cemetery, Maxwell, Nebraska.